Monday, June 3, 2013

The Start of Finals Week

I have officially been in Haiti for two weeks. This is not only a huge milestone because I have survived these past fourteen days without getting sunburn, but it is also a big deal because this is officially the longest I have ever been separated from my identical twin sister Kerry. It is strange to think that this is the longest in my life that I have truly been by myself, as the emails that I receive from home and the welcoming community at LCS remind me that no matter where I am in the world I will always find love and support from members of my human family.

Today at LCS also marks the beginning of Finals Week. Although many of the students have turned their attention more towards their studies, they still are their same happy selves. As typical students they dread exam week, however they do not seem to let the stress of exams get to them. 

My morning was spent writing the introduction to the paper that I will complete as a product of my fellowship. Although this is not a requirement by the Father Smith Fellowship, I feel that it is important to really examine my research and the meaning that it might hold for Haitians. The research that I have completed thus far has led me to a greater understanding of the country of Haiti and the roots of the problems that it is currently facing. As a slow writer, I made a sizeable dent in the writing of my paper. It is my hope that by the end of next week I will have a completed project to carry with me on my flight home.

I spent most of my afternoon today preparing for my visits to local companies tomorrow. I was able to have my surveys printed out, and meet with the former LCS student who will be translating for me tomorrow. It was great to speak with someone who has been through LCS, but also cares so much about the community here that he is willing to come back and help out when necessary.


Tonight, I went over to the Moynihan’s house for dinner with the two Volunteers who graduated from PC. I love that I was able to share many of my experiences here with fellow Friars who understand Catholic and Dominican values, and can see them at work in the students and community of LCS. It was great to relax, share a meal, and also reflect a little bit on our time at PC. As a graduate of Providence College’s Master’s Program and a recipient of a Honorary Degree from PC, Deacon Moynihan was even able to join in on our discussion of our unique, yet wonderful experiences at PC!

1 comment:

  1. This is one record that I am not too happy to break, but I am comforted by the fact that you are saving the world.

    Love and miss you lots,
    Kerry

    ReplyDelete