Sunday, June 2, 2013

A Relaxing Sunday

We went to the Chapel of St. Toma again today for Mass. Mass was about an hour and a half long, but was a little more interactive for our group this time, as we were given sheets of paper with the song lyrics on them. Although our two pews of people were some of the loudest singing along with the rest of the Church, the words that we were saying were probably also the most undistinguishable. Not one of us fully understood Kreyól, but we still wanted to participate in the mass as much as we possibly could.

After mass we headed back to LCS for an afternoon of relaxing. A few of the Volunteers played in a basketball game against alumni of LCS, but a majority of the group was exhausted after yesterday’s long day at work. I was able to organize my thoughts into an outline, and will begin writing some parts of my paper tomorrow. On Tuesday I should be able to go to a few local businesses, run by friends of Deacon Moynihan, in order to interview both their professional and non-professional staff members!


In the little bits of free-time that I have had, I have begun some leisure reading. When I found out that I was awarded with a Father Smith Fellowship, my older sister sent me a book as a congratulatory gift. The book is titled Heartache and Hope in Haiti and speaks about the Gengel family’s experiences as they searched for their daughter, Britney, in the aftermath of the 2010 earthquake in Haiti. Although this book is focused around a devastating topic, I have gained a different perspective on the earthquake in Haiti. Like many of my family members, while on a vacation or trip I enjoy reading a book about the place that I am visiting. Not only have I learned more about the country of Haiti from reading the story, but I also have been able to relate the experiences of the Gengel family to those of the students at LCS. Knowing what a single family from the United States suffered, I could not even imagine the heartache of the students, faculty and staff who lost so many family members and friends in that disaster. 

No comments:

Post a Comment