Sunday, May 19, 2013

A Dream a Year in the Making

After a year dreaming, planning, and preparing, I cannot believe the day has finally come. Thanks to the Father Smith Fellowship and the generous members of my Providence College family, I will be fulfilling a fellowship of service at The Haitian Project's Louverture Cleary School in Port-au-Prince, Haiti starting tomorrow. This twenty-five day trip will be both full of learning and challenges, and I could not be more excited for the memories that I will make on this journey.

As I write this post I am on my way to Boston after a fantastic Commencement Weekend at PC. The weekend was full of many memories, as I was able to watch on proudly as my cousin Tara received her diploma with the rest of the Class of 2013. Celebrating Tara's accomplishments surrounded by our family was a great way to spend my last days in the United States.

Even though I said goodbye to both my PC family and my own family earlier today, I know that although they will not be alongside me to share in my experiences, their love and support will not be absent throughout my journey. This afternoon I received two gifts - a bracelet with a Saint Christopher charm from my Aunt Cate and a set of rosary beads from my mother (passed along from a dear friend, proud Rhode Islander, and Dominican Sister). Both of these gifts will serve as reminders of the true mission of this journey and the faith that will give me the strength to complete it.

I truly cannot put into words how grateful I am for such an opportunity to travel to LCS to learn more about myself, others, the world, and above all, the power and love of the Catholic Church. Providence College has already given me so much, therefore it is my turn to work in the Catholic and Dominican spirit and transform the lives of others.

"What you receive for free, you must give for free."

- Matthew 10:8

2 comments:

  1. God bless you, Molly! You're going to great work down there. We'll see you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you arrived safe! keep doing what you are doing, love you!

    ReplyDelete